11 April 2014

How Do You Do It? – Cheek Turning

Greetings Dear Reader,

Mat 5:38 - 39 "You have heard that it was said, 'An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.' But I tell you not to oppose an evil person. If someone slaps you on your right cheek, turn your other cheek to him as well. “

One of the things I strive for is to be humble in my responses to things that hurt me.  I used to respond to hurts with anger and demands.  As I master my need to fight back I must go beyond being passive to being actively submissive.  It does not mean that I am walked on by others.  Instead it means that I acknowledge where the true power is.

If Jesus commands me not to oppose an evil person then he is taking responsibility for assuring that things unfold as they should.  I cannot answer why that unfolding includes some of the horrible things it does, but my obligation is faith and following.

Job said “Although he kills me yet will I serve him.”  I cannot love my enemy if I fight him.  I cannot show my faith in God’s control if I do not trust him with my safety.  I want to live this in every circumstance but I fail sometimes.  Fear and anger sometimes move me to resistance instead of faith.

How I do it is by not fighting back against the little things.  There are ongoing injustices that impact me.  I must not fight the people involved.  I must use my faith to follow Christ and show those same people that Christ loves them.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment