30 April 2014

Kintsugi – First Thoughts

Greetings Dear Reader,

My dear friend Lori posted a picture of a piece of Kintsugi yesterday.  This is the Japanese art of repairing broken pottery with lacquer infused with precious metals.  From the philosophical perspective this refers to the practice of embracing the flaws in things.

It is seeing the flaws as part of the history of an item.  Instead of hiding that the pottery was broken it is transformed into something new.  In many ways it makes the object more beautiful and more precious. 

In so many ways we see our flaws, cracks, and brokenness as something to hide.  In truth, however, I am who I am because of both my good and bad things.  My flaws contribute to who I am just as much as my positive traits.  Anything I learn about being humble and thoughtful stems from seeing my pride and thoughtlessness in light of what is right.

Everything about following Christ begins with understanding what stems from our flaws.  It is our sin that moves God to mend us through Christ.  It is our responsibility to see and embrace those flaws so that we can how we are mended through them.

My first thought when Lori posted this…Our souls, God’s blood.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment