29 May 2014

As I Leave Teaching – Closing Thoughts

Greetings Dear Reader,

So the book closes for at least a time on a profession I have loved.  I feel no ambivalence about the change but I know that I will miss the classroom.  I also know that I will miss the students whose lives I have had the privilege of sharing.  I am neither politically correct nor am I a model teacher. 

The honest need of the student always takes precedence over rules, guidelines, and unwritten laws.  I must admit to a level of weariness.  All my other teacher friends can attest that we need and long for rest between terms.  It is one of the things that fuels our ability to care for our learners.  I have not had that respite in five years save a few vacations grabbed at opportune times.

That, however, is what makes it worth the effort.  We always have a little more to give.  We always have room for one more student in our heart.

A good teacher is like a candle - it consumes itself to light the way for others.  ~Mustafa Kemal Atatürk

 So as I leave teaching I offer three challenges:

  • To my students – Let your teachers know what they mean to you.  It has power you cannot understand.  Whether you like the subject matter or lesson that teacher gives his or her al to assure that you reach the next step. 
  • To my fellow teachers - I have learned from you and you need to have courage.  Even the most difficult student (I was one) can grow into something amazing if he believes someone believes in him.  When you are weary feel free to seek me out and I will do my best to encourage you.
  • To my friends – Reach back to someone who has taught you.  Let that teacher know how he or she made a difference in your life.  Even the most curmudgeonly of us treasures that moment.  It is a gift you can give with little cost that is precious and rare.

So I commence.  I will spend more time with the pen and less time on the stage.  I do feel very tired.  I love you all collectively and individually.  Later tonight I will raise a glass to you with a friend.  I promise that the chosen potable will be of quality and value as are all of you.

The Road Goes Ever On (Part 4) – JRR Tolkien

The Road goes ever on and on
Out from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
Let others follow it who can!
Let them a journey new begin,
But I at last with weary feet
Will turn towards the lighted inn,
My evening-rest and sleep to meet.

Here endeth the lesson for today.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

1 comment: