28 May 2014

As I Leave Teaching – We Live On

Greetings Dear Reader,

So much of what we do as teachers looks forward.  We are always planning the next term in the middle of the current one.  We have to prep and read constantly to be ready to enter the classroom.  The right information for my students has always been a constantly moving target.

Today is my last day in the classroom for the foreseeable future.  I have so much I wish to say but need to focus on what matters.  I do not think that many students think about their teachers as they move through life.  Some do and it is precious when they reach out to let know how they are doing.

What is true is that we live on in other ways.  Every time I see that one of my students is successful in his or her career, I live on in that moment.  When one of them passes on what I have taught them, I live on in that moment.  I have the joy of seeing two of my former students enter the teaching profession.  I live on in this more than anything.

As I leave teaching I know that others will use what I have given to have better lives.  I know that others will pass on what they have learned.  We never really know the extent of the good we can do if we love and care for our students. 

I have been a tributary stream to a much larger system of flowing water.  My trickle through the lives of some grows as it joins the progress of learning and development.  My part of the education journey will never end.  It is just that this form of teaching stops tonight for some time. 

The Road Goes Ever On (Part 3) – JRR Tolkien

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way,
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment