26 May 2014

As I Leave Teaching – What We Lose

Greetings Dear Reader,

It seems that those I know in other professions do not get this.  There is loss that teachers suffer regularly.  We lose a little piece of ourselves at the end of each term, semester, quarter, or year. 

For those of us who truly care about our students the loss is genuine.  The loss is that those students who pass through our classroom take a piece of us with them.  We pour ourselves into the sculpting of who and what they are becoming.  They take it in.  They grow and learn.  Then they are gone.

I am blessed that there are many who still keep in touch.  When I hear from them because of success in their lives it fills me with joy.  Others never look back.  Since I am engaged at a real level with all of my students I wonder about so many. 

Social media helps.  I have been able to check in on so many this way.  Some former students have even used it to reach out to me.  So many others though cross the stage, receive the diploma, and are gone.  It is always bittersweet.

The list of students whose lives I pray for has grown so long over the years.  I wonder about each of them as I come across their names and my notes about them during my prayer times.  Some have become lifelong friends and for them I am ever grateful. 

As I leave teaching I think of this final graduating class the young men who are in it.  Each of them has worked hard to earn his degree.  They are people with a real future in the IT field.  I also consider the students who are still in the programs for which I had oversight.  I will continue to pray for them.

As this page turns I cannot help but feel a little fragmented.  I also feel the success of helping other move along the path to new careers.  The loss is worth it because of this.  It is, however, still loss.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment