08 May 2014

Constant Prayer – Private Prayer

Greetings Dear Reader,

I will touch on something a bit more formal later but for now I want to ponder the aspects for private prayer that contrast with yesterday’s thoughts on public prayer.  When Jesus tells us to pray in private he is asking that I do so in a certain way. 

I have a prayer time every morning.  I have this time just before I write this blog.  I have a “list” of thing for which I pray.  None of them are possessions.  Most of the things on that list are not things but people and their needs.

Since I have collected many people over the years for whom I pray regularly I do not pray for everyone every day.  I pray for my students by name daily.  I pray for my children morning, evening, and whenever they come to mind.  I pray for Avalon then as well.

There are situations over which I pray daily or weekly depending on the urgency and importance.  I pray when I am driving.  I pray for you Dear Reader every time I post this blog. 

I pray in the shower for the day I am about to begin.  This is when I give my life to God for the day.  I ask that I hear his voice and obey his wishes.  I ask that I can make a difference in the lives of others.  I ask for strength to do what is right and humility to see my flaws.  My last formal prayer in the morning is to address what I feel are my life needs. 

None of this is rote recitation.  It is not a list.  It is a conversation.  An example might be like this:  “Father, I am concerned about INSERT NAME HERE.  He does not believe you exist and I know that you love him.  Let me know if I can do anything to help him see how real you are.” 

This is just one example.  Over the years if feels similar to the way in which I check in with others.  I suppose the prayer and the public conversation with people influence each other.  The point is that it is genuine.  It is from the heart.  It is not condemnation or anyone or a rote list of orders to God.  I know that it keeps me aware of the needs of others and my responsibility to them.  That may be enough.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment