16 May 2014

Imagined Offenses – What we Know

Greetings Dear Reader,

I have so often thought about this.  What I know about a situation is rarely all there is to know.  Proverbs teaches us that to judge a matter without hearing it first is shameful and foolish.  We rarely know the whole story before we choose sides. 

When families and friends weigh in on things there is rarely a clear picture of what has happened.  When we form opinions on events in the lives of others we seldom know enough to make a sound judgment.  I think that this is why we are not to judge or place blame.

What it boils down to when we do this is gossip.  If I Bob tells me that Will did this or that and I get offended at Will’s actions I am wrong.  I do not know the matter.  I have not talked to Will.  I have wronged both Will and Bob by listening to the gossip.

I must make sure that if I weigh in on anything that certain things are true.  I must make sure that I have as much information as possible to form an opinion.  I must assure that my motive is peace and love.  I must make sure it is my place to even be involved in the conversation.

If I take up to offenses of others then I am not promoting the peace and community that is part of following Christ.  I am not allowed to be a part of strife and dissension.  I am not allowed to argue and malign.  When I see others doing this I must move them toward kindness and love.

There is not situation that cannot be healed when we choose to assure that we know before we speak.  There is no conversation, no matter how difficult that cannot be held if all parties agree to keep Christ at the center of it.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment