11 June 2014

Minstrels in the Gallery – Dan Fogelberg

Greetings Dear Reader,

When an artist passes away there will be no new paintings, books, or songs from him or her.  I truly miss some of the musicians who have reached the end of the path ahead of me.  Dan Fogelberg perhaps I miss the most.

His music always challenges me to consider why I do things.  What is my motive?  What do I love?  Why have I abandoned innocence and faith?  The song I offer today speaks to me about anger, doubt, and perspective.  The entire Innocent Age album poses some very deep questions.  If forced to choose a favorite album it would be this one. 

My first thought on this song is that as adults we force innocence from our children in so many ways.  We even force if from our own lives.  It has a place and purpose.  We are supposed to approach God as “little children.”  Our demand to know and understand denies that innocent approach.

Some people abandon God long before they are mature enough to see their need for him.  Anger from life circumstance locks us away from the things we need to make simple choices.  We abandon faith long before we know enough to see that is not the right choice.  This is true on the major and minor scale.

This is not new to this generation.  It was anger and pain the imprisoned me so long ago and caused me to look for a way out of God.  I am not saying this is true of everyone.  It is true of many.  I was rejecting God long before I had the understanding to see how much I needed him.

I had not dealt with all that anger and pain even after I returned to God and the prison I remained in caused me to rob my Sons of their innocence.  I think that every parent must protect the innocence of their children at any cost.  We cannot make selfish choices that damage them.

What I have realized is that I am bound by God to have the courage to embrace that some things are simple.  We do not know what is unfolding.  We need to trust that God does.  For me today is just another day to lay my sins before the alter and follow.

Empty Cages – Dan Fogelberg

Waiting in the wings your courage sings before you falter...
It's just another way to say what's there but never shows.
It's just another day to lay your sins before the altar.
And where it's going to end this time around nobody knows.

Every time it seems that you have gained an understanding
Those devils at your heels reach up and try to tip the scales.
Waking from a dream you see it's all been done without you.
And every vain attempt to make it stay is destined to fail.

Fury rages through your restless days
Shades of time that's gone before
Empty cages where the prisoner plays
'Til the door swings closed behind for evermore...
Evermore...
Evermore...

Long before we come of age we yearn to leave the garden
And wrestle with a myth the hand of fate has faintly drawn.
But somewhere on the way we feel our hearts begin to harden
And see just as we learn to turn around the garden is gone.

Fury rages through your restless days
Shades of time that's gone before
Empty cages where the prisoner plays
'Til the door swings closed behind for evermore...
Evermore...
Evermore...

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment