14 June 2014

Minstrels in the Gallery – Times Like These

Greetings Dear Reader,

There things the drive me.  Early in my adult life I made the error of allowing money to drive me.  In chasing anything other than Christ I always lose my way.  When things are bad I always have Christ to turn to for direction.

As I pause to consider the minstrels in my gallery it occurs to me just how much the music l love informs my subconscious thinking.  So often the song in my head nudges, pushes, or drives me in the direction I need to go.

One of the things I find is that I am often driven figuratively or literally to my knees.  I do not understand how people manage without Christ to depend on in troubled times.  Even when I am overwhelmed by the circumstances around me I can find my way.  I focus on Christ.  I dive deeper into time in prayer.

I realize this sounds simplistic but as we discussed a few days ago that is how things are supposed to be with God; simple.  Instead of that I can at times thoughtlessly chase the things I think will soothe or guide me.  Without Christ as my focus anything I chase will leave me wanting.

As I face the events unfolding I must stay focused on Christ lest I say or do things that will worsen the situation.  When I woke up this morning the phrase in my head reminded me exactly what I need to be doing.  At times like these it’s hard to keep a man off his knees.

Times Like These – Dan Fogelberg

Tell me a secret, tell me a lie
Tell me the truth if you have to
Say what you see fit but don't ask me why
Love never seems to last you

In times like these
It's hard to keep a man off his knees
In times like these
It's hard to keep a man off his knees

Over a barrel, under a spell
Money's the demon that drives you
Limping through heaven or running through hell
Happiness smiles but denies you

In times like these
It's hard to keep a man off his knees
In times like these
It's hard to keep a man off his knees

Nothing before you, nothing behind
Thoughtlessly chasing the thunder
Traveling lightly, traveling blind
Never detouring to wonder why

Tell me a secret, tell me a lie
Tell me the truth if you have to
Say what you see fit but don't ask me why
Love never seems to last you

In times like these
It's hard to keep a man off his knees
In times like these
It's hard to keep a man off his knees

Nothing before you, nothing behind
Thoughtlessly chasing the thunder
Traveling lightly, traveling blind
Never detouring to wonder why

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment