14 June 2014

Second Thoughts – Peanuts and?

Greetings Dear Reader,

Sometimes I will end the day with thoughts that are important to get out.  Usually I just write them and put them in my journal folder.  I have chosen that on occasion I will share them with you Dear Reader. 

One of the joys of being a boy at a baseball game was that my Grandfather would always buy me box of Crackerjack (there were countless hot dogs, coca-colas, and ice cream cones as well).  For the less educated it is not “Crackerjacks”.  There is no “s”.  There used to be Crackerjack ads on the radio and television with the jingle was “Candy coated popcorn, peanuts, and a prize; that’s what you get in Crackerjack.” 

The best part was always the prize.  When I was young I received a bird whistle, plastic baseball players, and  a compass.  They were prized you could be proud of as a boy.  Tonight I took my youngest Grandson, Bastion to his first solo baseball game.  He has his own tiny glove and ate half a hot dog, a boat for French fries, and heaps of water. 

During the game I obtained a box of Crackerjack for him.  He loved the candy coated popcorn and the peanuts.  I was horrified by what has become of the “prize.”  It was a sticker.  I checked the other two boxes I had.  They also had only stickers.  I am outraged. 

I would pay more for a real prize in my Crackerjack.  I would love to see the wonder in both my Grandsons that I felt as a boy.  Baseball is still amazing and has much to teach us.  It seems that Crackerjack has taught me that their product is no longer the quality one that it once was.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."


1 comment:

  1. Anonymous17/6/14 10:10

    You are giving him a wonderful gift of Memories. That is why your Mom wanted you to know your Grandfather. Every boy needs a grandfather like that. My grandfather gave me those kind of memories until I was taken away.

    ReplyDelete