24 June 2014

This May Sound Silly – Consequences

Greetings Dear Reader,

Sin has consequences.  I am not going to launch into a sermon on hell-fire and damnation.  That is not what I think of as the extreme consequences for sin.  The consequences of sin permeate everything.  When we violate the character of God we send a bombastic chord into the universe.  It reverberates and echoes and impacts others.

When I lie I do damage to myself and others.  When I am unfaithful as a friend or spouse I damage my relationships.  Leaving my wife and children so many years ago still has damage that echoes to this day.  When we do wrong there are always consequences.  When we fail to love it always does damage.

God realizes that we cannot make our way out of the quicksand of our failures without his help.  He extends his love to us by offering grace and forgiveness.  He pays the penalty for our sin by allowing his Son, Jesus to die for us.  He offers to commute the penalty if we only accept this by faith. 

You see even though to some it may seem silly to some sin and its consequences are real.  I am not to use that as a weapon but as something to move me toward compassion.  I need to live a life that reflects the love that God has for those still bound to sin.  I am not to judge or condemn.

I am to love.  I am to be good, kind, and generous.  I am to always be available to share the opportunity that God offers.  I am to live a life that gives me the right to speak.  I must follow Christ so closely that I seem to disappear so that he can be seen for who he is.  That is not silly at all.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment