14 July 2014

The Crimson Thread – David and Goliath

Greetings Dear Reader,

This is one of the stories that appealed to me so much as a boy.  I always saw myself as David of course.  I have fought and slain giants in my life.  Most of them were giants I created through my own selfishness and sin.

David was brave and prepared.  He loved God.  He sought God’s heart and despised anything that hindered that seeking.  Later in life he failed in great ways but he always returned to his pursuit of God’s heart.  He always came back to that place where he acknowledged his need for and dependence on God.

There are many good things to learn from David.  There are giants that cry against the power of the living God.  There are ways to defeat them.  The story is grand and beautiful.  I think, however, that we miss who we really are in the story.

I think that we are the Israelites watching all of this unfold.  We are the ones on the sidelines letting a twelve year old boy do the great things of faith that we should be doing.  Too often we wait for others to act.

I must move.  I must follow.  I must be willing to risk it all to be who God wishes me to be for his purposes.  I can become David in the story but only if I stop watching when it is time to face Goliath.  Who then is David?  He is Jesus,  He is the one facing down the giant of our sin.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment