27 July 2014

Words out of Fashion – Sin

Greetings Dear Reader,

Sin is defined as an immoral act that is considered a transgression against moral law.  Before I say anything else about this thorny topic let me be very clear that everyone sins.  I sin.  This is not a judgment in any way.  It is a part of the human condition.

Whenever something is pointed out as a sin in our culture we are accused of being judgmental by those who find that particular sin acceptable.  Some things, when identified as sin result in the identifier being seen as hateful and bigoted. 

I do think that we spend too much time focused on the sin of others.  We focus on our own sin.  If I put my energy into following Christ and showing his love to others I can impact them in a way that their sin becomes evident to them.  I do not need to point it out.  That is the job of the Holy Spirit.

As a culture we embrace that idea that if we deny something is wrong it is not wrong.  Unfortunately we do not get to determine that.  By denying sin we deny our accountability to God.  We deny that there is a moral standard that we do not get to determine.  My refusal to submit to those standards does not absolve me of the accountability to them.  That is the essence of sin: failure to adhere to God’s standards.

It is unpopular to use the word sin but sin still exists for all of us.  Here is the litmus test: You shall love the Lord God with all your heart, soul, and mind.  You must love your neighbor, your friend, and your enemies.  If you do all of this all the time you are sinless.  If you say you do all of this all the time then you are a liar and, therefore, not sinless.  I know that I fail.  I know that I sin. 

It may be unfashionable to say so.  That does not remove us from the need to see that we sin and avail ourselves of God’s forgiveness. 

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment