13 August 2014

Am I Enough – Job Appeals his Case

Greetings Dear Reader,

It interests me greatly that Job first tells his friends to shut up.   It is obvious that in his pain he is weary of false accusations.  He makes it clear that to be silent is wisdom.  He also intends to appeal his case to the only person who can truly judge him.

A Crooked Stick
When he begins his appeal to God he makes it clear that he has dealt with his known sin.  Even though it would kill him he is willing to face God with integrity.  He also does the single thing that a man pursuing righteousness must do.  He asks God to reveal his sin.  A little over a year ago I spent thirty days asking this question and pondering the answers.  I will revisit this thirty day challenge again next year. 

We are all sinners. We are all crooked sticks unfit for anything useful.  It is in God’s recreation of us that we find meaning.  It is in Christ that we live, move, and become something of value.   I can only achieve any type of righteousness by accounting quickly for the wrong that I do to God and others.

My Grandfather used to say often, “Keep short accounts with God.”   If I know I am wrong I must redress the wrong as quickly as possible.  It does not matter what I want or how I wish things were.  It matters that I pursue Christ by pursuing righteousness, holiness, and purity.  It matters that I keep my word.  It matters that I am honorable in my dealings with others professionally and socially.  It is vital that I realize that there are no secular issues.  Everything is about following Christ in every moment of every day.   Anything else is foolishness.

I will fail.  I will fall.  It is by God’s grace that I will find the path again and do what is right.  No matter what it costs me I must work to be above reproach, beyond blame, and in Christ.  He then will take care of everything else.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

Job 13:1-28
            "My eye has certainly seen all of this! My ear has heard and understood it. After all, I know it as well as you do. I am not inferior to you.  However, I want to speak to the Almighty, and I wish to argue my case in front of God. But you are smearing me with lies. All of you are worthless physicians.  I wish you would keep silent. For you, that would be wisdom.  Please listen to my argument, and pay attention to my plea. 
"Will you talk wickedly for God and talk deceitfully on his behalf?  Will you favor him as if you were arguing in court on God's behalf?  Will it go well when he cross-examines you? Will you try to trick him as one mortal tricks another?  Will he really defend you if you secretly favor him?  Doesn't his majesty terrify you? Doesn't the fear of him fall upon you? 
"Your recollections are worthless proverbs. Your answers are absolutely useless.  Be quiet, because I want to speak. Let whatever may happen to me happen!  I am biting off more than I can chew and taking my life in my own hands.  If God would kill me, I would have no hope left. Nevertheless, I will defend my behavior to his face.  This also will be my salvation because no godless person could face him. 
"Listen carefully to my words. Hear my declaration.  I have prepared my case. I know that I will be declared righteous.  Who can make a case against me? If someone could, I'd be silent and die. 

"Please don't do two things to me so that I won't have to hide from you:  Stop oppressing me. Don't let your terror frighten me.  Then call and I'll answer. Otherwise, I'll speak, and you'll answer me.  How many crimes and sins have I committed? Make me aware of my disobedience and my sin.  Why do you hide your face from me and consider me your enemy?  Are you trying to make a fluttering leaf tremble or trying to chase dry husks?  You write down bitter accusations against me. You make me suffer for the sins of my youth.  You put my feet in shackles. You follow my trail by engraving marks on the soles of my feet.  I am like worn-out wineskins, like moth-eaten clothes.”

No comments:

Post a Comment