20 August 2014

Am I Enough – Zophar the Rude

Greetings Dear Reader,

I wonder often why it is that we become angry when we discuss things.  I realize that some issues are emotionally charged.  I also realize that when we allow our emotions to override our decency we lose credibility. 

Job’s “friend” becomes aggressive and vulgar toward Job.  He uses metaphors that one would not use with a friend.  Not only has he forgotten compassion and love.  He has left behind the tenants of kindness and love that are supposed to guide our attempts to restore those who have sinned.

The arrogance of his words seem to have the opposite of his desired impact.  Even reading them thousands of years later I am shocked by his words.  The crassness and anger are more offensive than anything they have supposed Job to have done.

I have both reacted wrongly to the supposed sin of others and have had anger launched at me when someone was falsely accusing me of wrong.  I know that my past anger at others not seeing their sin was misguided.  No one wins.  No one benefits.  Nothing is changed except the depth of the pain and hurt.

Even recently I have had others say disrespectful and unkind things to me in anger.  We forget too easily how much long term damage words can do to another person.  For me when someone I love launches thoughtless words in my direction the damage lingers long after I have forgiven the person.

My own struggles with who I am use the echoes of those words to torment me both waking and sleeping.  Things that have been said to me by those closest to me have left fissures in my spirit that I cannot transcend.  When I see these people the words echo reminding me what they are willing to do in a moment of anger.

I handle this by sinking deeper into faith, following, and kindness.  I cannot avoid the feelings but I can learn from the pain.  I can resolve to avoid thoughtless words.  I can resolve to keep my word no matter what the cost.  I can determine that even when someone else is wrong to the core I will not harm them to prove my point.

Only in following Christ more closely in this do I find peace in my pain.   

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

Job 20:1- 29
Then Zophar from Naama replied to Job,
"My disturbing thoughts make me answer, and because of them I am upset. I have heard criticism that makes me ashamed, but a spirit beyond my understanding gives me answers. 
"Don't you know that from ancient times, from the time humans were placed on earth, the triumph of the wicked is short-lived, and the joy of the godless person lasts only a moment?  If his height reaches to the sky and his head touches the clouds, he will certainly rot like his own feces. Those who have seen him will say, 'Where is he?' He will fly away like a dream and not be found. He will be chased away like a vision in the night.  Eyes that saw him will see him no more. His home will not look at him again. His children will have to ask the poor for help. His own hands will have to give back his wealth.  His bones, once full of youthful vigor, will lie down with him in the dust. 
“Though evil is sweet in his mouth and he hides it under his tongue. . . Though he savors it and won't let go of it and he holds it on the roof of his mouth, the food in his belly turns sour. It becomes snake venom in his stomach.  He vomits up the riches that he swallowed. God forces them out of his stomach.  The godless person sucks the poison of snakes. A viper's fang kills him.  He won't be able to drink from the streams or from the rivers of honey and buttermilk.  He will give back what he earned without enjoying it. He will get no joy from the profits of his business because he crushed and abandoned the poor. He has taken by force a house that he didn't build.  He will never know peace in his heart. He will never allow anything he desires to escape his grasp.

“Nothing is left for him to eat. His prosperity won't last.  Even with all his wealth the full force of misery comes down on him.  Let that misery fill his belly. God throws his burning anger at the godless person and makes his wrath come down on him like rain.  If that person flees from an iron weapon, a bronze bow will pierce him.  He pulls it out, and it comes out of his back. The glittering point comes out of his gallbladder. "Terrors come quickly to the godless person: Total darkness waits in hiding for his treasure. A fire that no one fans will burn him. Whatever is left in his tent will be devoured.  Heaven exposes his sin. Earth rises up against him.  A flood will sweep away his house, a flash flood on the day of his anger.  This is the reward God gives to the wicked person, the inheritance God has appointed for him."

No comments:

Post a Comment