14 August 2014

Second Thoughts – The Perseid Meteor Shower 2014

Greetings Dear Reader,

Sometimes I will end the day with thoughts that are important to get out.  Usually I just write them and put them in my journal folder.  I have chosen that on occasion I will share them with you Dear Reader.

Thanks to clear skies and mild temperatures I was able to spend the last two nights outside in my hammock and enjoy the Perseid Meteor Shower.  I turned in early so that I could awaken early and enjoy the show.

The waning gibbous moon gave a bit of a challenge on the first night but there were still some spectacular moments. I awakened the first time at about 1:00 AM when my daughter, Christmas snuck out to put an extra blanket over me. Thanks to her limited sneakiness I was awake for about an hour and treated to several beautiful falling stars whilst the moon was sequestered behind the large oak tree in the yard. 

I went back to sleep and awakened at four to spend a half hour watching during what is the best viewing time.  What I saw was spectacular.  I did not count and decided I would remember to do that the next night. 

The second night it was a bit warmer and the sky hazy but as the temperature dropped the sky cleared.  The moon had waned further allowing more viewing area.  The dance was at its best around 4:10 and I began to count.  After twenty I realized that I would rather just take in the beauty.

What captivated me most during both viewings was the depth and majesty of the naked stars. The heavens truly do declare the glory of God. 

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

1 comment: