03 September 2014

Am I Enough – Getting What we Deserve

Greetings Dear Reader,

One of the most damaging things about Elihu’s comments is that he has just enough truth to be dangerous.  He uses his sliver of truth to launch erroneous accusations against Job.  One of his accurate statements is worth a moment of pause as we travel together.

I think that one of the reasons that we fail to see the depth of our need for grace and mercy from God is that we think we deserve something from God.  We cannot understand because of our fallen nature that we do not merit anything from God.  Everything God gives is an act of love and mercy.

It is our actions and attitudes that separate us from God.  We rejected and continue to reject him.  His response to our constant rejection is to love us, die for us, and forgive us.  We always need his mercy.  We only exist because of God’s good will.  Elihu is right; if not for the constant sustenance of God we would cease to exist.

Elihu does not see that in this truth lies the problem with his condemnation of Job.  His angry judgment rejects the very mercy that is necessary for him to live.  He should be respectfully uplifting the man he thinks has fallen.  He should be modeling the grace and mercy that he thinks is necessary to restore others.

I must always travel this journey back to God with the understanding that every step I successfully take is one allowed by grace and mercy.  I must see others as needing that same grace and mercy.  There is no one who is not capable of being brought back to God through the power of his love and grace.

The moment I condemn a person I am wrong.  I can say someone’s actions are wrong without judging the person or rejecting them as worthy of God’s love.  They are all worthy because he says they are.  It is grace and mercy that allow me to take a single step toward him.  It is that same grace, mercy, and love that I must constantly extend to others.       

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

Job 34:1-37
Elihu continued to speak to Job and his friends, 
(2)  "Listen to my words, you wise men. Open your ears to me, you intelligent men.  (3)  The ear tests words like the tongue tastes food.  (4)  Let's decide for ourselves what is right and agree among ourselves as to what is good, (5) because Job has said, 'I'm righteous, but God has taken away my rights.  (6)  I'm considered a liar in spite of my rights. I've been wounded by a deadly arrow, though I haven't been disobedient.'  (7)  What person is like Job, who drinks scorn like water, (8) who travels with troublemakers and associates with evil people?  (9)  He says, 'It doesn't do any good to try to please God.' 
(10)  "You people, who have understanding, listen to me. It is unthinkable that God would ever do evil or that the Almighty would ever do wicked things.  (11)  God will repay humanity for what it has done and will give each person what he deserves.  (12)  Certainly, God will never do anything evil, and the Almighty will never pervert justice.  (13)  Who put him in charge of the earth? Who appointed him to be over the whole world?  (14)  If he thought only of himself and withdrew his Spirit and his breath, (15) all living beings would die together, and humanity would return to dust. 
(16)  "If you understand, listen to this. Open your ears to my words!  (17)  Should anyone who hates justice be allowed to govern? Will you condemn the one who is righteous and mighty?  (18)  Should anyone even say to a king, 'You good-for-nothing scoundrel!' or to nobles, 'You wicked people!'  (19)  The one who is righteous and mighty does not grant special favors to princes or prefer important people over poor people because his hands made them all.  (20)  They die suddenly in the middle of the night. People have seizures and pass away. Mighty people are taken away but not by human hands.  (21)  God's eyes are on a person's ways. He sees all his steps.  (22)  There's no darkness or deep shadow where troublemakers can hide.  (23)  He doesn't have to set a time for a person in order to bring him to divine judgment.  (24)  He breaks mighty people into pieces without examining them and puts others in their places.  (25)  He knows what they do, so he overthrows them at night, and they're crushed.  (26)  In return for their evil, he strikes them in public, (27) because they turned away from following him and didn't consider any of his ways.  (28)  They forced the poor to cry out to him, and he hears the cry of those who suffer.  (29)  If he keeps quiet, who can condemn him? If he hides his face, who can see him whether it is a nation or a single person?  (30)  He does this so that godless people cannot rule and so that they cannot trap people. 
(31)  "But suppose such a person says to God, 'I am guilty, I will stop my immoral behavior.  (32)  Teach me what I cannot see. If I've done wrong, I won't do it again.'  (33)  Should God reward you on your own terms since you have rejected his? You must choose, not I. Tell me what you know. Speak! 
(34)  "People of understanding, the wise people who listen to me, will say, (35) 'Job speaks without knowledge. His words show no insight.' 
(36)  "My Father, let Job be thoroughly tested for giving answers like wicked people do.  (37)  He adds disobedience to his sin. He claps his hands to insult us. He multiplies his words against God."



No comments:

Post a Comment