02 September 2014

Am I Enough – Knowing how God Works

Greetings Dear Reader,

Elihu seems to think that he knows exactly how God does things.  He assumes that God works the same way with everyone.  In light of this assumption he continues to push Job to confess to sin that is not his.

He has judged Job without evidence.  He now angrily demands that he be allowed to teach Job wisdom.  His arrogance and disrespect can be felt in his words.  The lack of love and compassion override any genuine concern for Job’s soul.  Any truth in Elihu’s message is blocked from sight by his attitude and harshness.

I want to be clear that I am both conservative and singular in my theology.  My beliefs are very black and white.  I believe the Bible is true and accurate.  The reason I stress this is because I also find that the actions of attitudes of those who believe as I do are very judgmental and unloving.

It is judgment, condemnation, and lack of love that erodes the message we have to present to others.  We do not earn the right to be heard.  We demand that others listen to our words when we have not shown them the love they need.  Just like Job is in need of compassion from his friends, those outside the faith need to see our compassion for them.

If I do not show love for the needs of others then my words are useless.  If I pass judgment on others then I forget the depth of my own sin.  If I try to coheres or manipulate others to do as I wish then I am the one in the wrong.  I must have confidence in the love and faithfulness of God.  I must believe that God will work things out as he wishes.

What I must do is follow in faith and love.  I must see others as the needs they have and beauty that God has placed in them.  I am to love them where they are with compassion born of my same need for grace and mercy.  I must hold fast to what I believe and live it out as God commands even if those around me never agree.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

Job 33:1-33
"Please, Job, listen to my words and consider everything I say.  (2)  I've opened my mouth. The words are on the tip of my tongue.  (3)  My words are straight from the heart, and I sincerely speak the knowledge that is on my lips. 
(4)  "God's Spirit has made me. The breath of the Almighty gives me life.  (5)  Answer me if you can. Present your case to me, and take your stand.  (6)  Indeed, I stand in front of God as you do. I, too, was formed from a piece of clay.  (7)  You certainly don't need to be terrified of me. I won't put too much pressure on you. 
(8)  "But you spoke directly to me, and I listened to your words.  (9)  You said, 'I'm pure-without any rebellious acts against God. I'm clean; I have no sin.  (10)  God is only looking for an excuse to attack me. He considers me his enemy.  (11) He puts my feet in the stocks and watches all my paths.'  (12)  You aren't right about this! I've got an answer for you: God is greater than any mortal.  (13)  Why do you quarrel with him since he doesn't answer any questions? 
(14)  "God speaks in one way, even in two ways without people noticing it:  (15)  In a dream, a prophetic vision at night, when people fall into a deep sleep, when they sleep on their beds,  (16)  he opens people's ears and terrifies them with warnings.  (17)  He warns them to turn away from doing wrong and to stop being arrogant.  (18)  He keeps their souls from the pit and their lives from crossing the River of Death.  (19)  In pain on their sickbeds, they are disciplined with endless aching in their bones (20) so that their whole being hates food and they lose their appetite for a delicious meal.  (21)  Their flesh becomes so thin that it can't be seen. Their bones, not seen before, will be exposed.  (22)  Their souls approach the pit. Their lives come close to those already dead. 
(23)  "If they have a messenger for them, a spokesman, one in a thousand, to tell people what is right for them,  (24)  then he will have pity on them and say, 'Free them from going into the pit. I have found a ransom.'  (25)  Then their flesh will become softer than a child's. They will go back to the days of their youth.  (26)  They will pray to God, who will be pleased with them. They will see God's face and shout for joy as he restores their righteousness.  (27)  Each one sings in front of other people and says, 'I sinned and did wrong instead of what was right, and it did me no good.  (28) The messenger has freed my soul from going into the pit, and my life will see the light.'  (29)  Truly, God does all this two or three times with people (30) to turn their souls away from the pit and to enlighten them with the light of life. 

(31)  "Pay attention, Job! Listen to me! Keep quiet, and let me speak.  (32)  If you have a response, answer me. Speak, because I'd be happy if you were right.  (33)  If not, you listen to me. Keep quiet, and I'll teach you wisdom."

No comments:

Post a Comment