04 September 2014

Am I Enough – Shooting the Wounded

Greetings Dear Reader,

As Elihu continues his tirade against Job he adds further insult.  He questions Job’s knowledge and wisdom.  He moves from any reasonable argument to pejorative insult.  He accuses Job of oppressing others. 

Be vewy kwiet, I'm hunting kwistians
His insults attack every aspect of the goodness that has already been identified in Job.  Everything about who Job is falls under question by Elihu.  It does not matter that there is no evidence of sin on Job’s part.  It does not matter that the man has years of life where he lived a good and righteous example. 

I always find that I am so angry at Elihu when I read this passage.  I always find my compassion for Job growing deeper.  I must guard my anger against a man five thousand years dead.  I must be careful to remember that even though he is wrong he is just as worthy of love as Job is.

It is so easy for those who follow Christ to shoot their own wounded.  The command from God is to restore the fallen in love.  The path is to love, respect, and encourage others.  I cannot fail to love Elihu even in the depth of his fault and believe that I am in any way righteous.  I dare not fail to love those overtaken in sin.

No matter what I think of another’s current state of righteousness or lack thereof I am obligated to love them.  I am required to show them compassion and kindness.  I do not have to accept or justify their sin.  I cannot, however, forget the grace and mercy necessary to forgive my sin.  I cannot for a moment move away from the fact that the price to cover my transgression was God’s blood.

In light of the guilt and penalty I carry for my sin, I dare not try to follow Christ whilst condemning anyone else.  We are all under the same conviction.  We all need the same forgiveness.  I must love them where they are and motivate them to righteous by example.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

Job 35:1-16 
Elihu continued to speak to Job and his friends, 
(2)  "Do you think this is right when you say, 'My case is more just than God's,' (3) when you ask, 'What benefit is it to you?' and, 'What would I gain by sinning?'  (4)  I will answer you and your friends.
(5)  "Look at the heavens and see. Observe the clouds high above you.  (6)  If you've sinned, what effect can you have on God? If you've done many wrongs, what can you do to him?  (7)  If you're righteous, what can you give him or what can he get from you?  (8)  Your wickedness affects only someone like yourself. Your righteousness affects only the descendants of Adam.  (9)  The weight of oppression makes them cry out. The power of mighty people makes them call for help.  (10)  But no one asks, 'Where is God, my Creator, who inspires songs in the night, (11) who teaches us more than he teaches the animals of the earth, who makes us wiser than the birds in the sky?'  (12)  Then they cry out, but he doesn't answer them because of the arrogance of those evil people. 

(13)  "Surely, God doesn't listen to idle complaints. The Almighty doesn't even pay attention to them.  (14)  Although you say that you pay attention to him, your case is in front of him, but you'll have to wait for him.  (15)  And now you say that his anger doesn't punish anyone and he isn't too concerned about evil.  (16) Job opens his mouth for no good reason and talks a lot without having any knowledge."

No comments:

Post a Comment