28 September 2014

That’s not how it works – Hamster Wheels

Greetings Dear Reader,

As a child I remember trying to do things to earn the positive attention of teachers, parents, and other adults that mattered to me.  In many cases these efforts failed.  Sometimes they did not.

On the occasions that I could earn that favor I felt significant.  When I failed to do so I felt alone and neglected.  As a child I could not see that sometimes adults needed to attend to other things. 

The problem for me was that earning and keeping that favor was a hamster wheel journey.  I would run and run but not truly get anywhere.  I would experience the ups and downs of acceptance and rejection.  Some of those experiences were quite damaging. 

That is not how it works with God.  In the same manner that we cannot disappoint God because already knows everything we will ever do, we cannot earn his favor.  He loves us freely.  He accepts us with every flaw and fault offering us a way to journey to him. 

Our very best is nothing compared to God.  Our good deeds do not give us points with him.  It is grace that gives access to God.  It is his love and mercy that allow us to receive favor unconditionally. 

I must not measure the good I do as something to merit positive acceptance from God.  I must do good because of his love for me.  I must do what is right for the right reasons.  I follow out of love.  That is how it works.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment