26 September 2014

That’s not how it works – No Cabbage Please

Greetings Dear Reader,

What seems like a lifetime ago, when my Sister was five and I was seven we were eating dinner with my Nana.  We were having a cool summer dinner and I was anxious to get to the radio and listen to the Braves play. 

I remember that my Nana made amazing coleslaw.  I think my enjoyment of it is rooted in the enjoyment of her coleslaw.  I would consume as much of it as allowed and I judge all coleslaw by hers. 

My Sister was picking at hers eating the apples out of it but avoiding almost everything else.  My Nana asked her if she did not like it.  My Sister’s response, “Oh I like it alright but it would be better without the cabbage.”

We laughed about this for years. To those who do not know what coleslaw is (as my blog is read by people in many countries); its primary ingredient is cabbage.  One cannot make real coleslaw without cabbage.

It seems that Christ followers are much like my Sister in that moment.  We want the Gospel but without well the Gospel.  We cannot pick and choose what ingredients of following Christ we want in our faith.  Christ demands all of us and that we accept all of him.

I cannot leave out part of the Gospel and think that I have the truth.  I cannot fail to love, obey, sacrifice, give, forgive, or any other things Christ demands of me.  No matter what has been done to me I must be the example of love and acceptance.  I must give up my rights and wants for the sake of the Gospel.

Christ has my needs in his hands.  He is there in every moment waiting to meet them without me placing demands on anyone else.  That is how it works.  Anything else is coleslaw without cabbage – it does not exist.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment