20 October 2014

Come as You Are – Be Still

Greetings Dear Reader,

I write, pray, read, and think best in the wee hours of the morning when most of my world still slumbers.  It is the quiet and lack of distractions that fuel me.  I hate solitude most of the time but in those hours I treasure it.  I find the stillness of everything else very revealing.

It is in these hours that I am the most thoughtful.  I am usually fresh from sleep so my head is clearer.  I pray more honestly.  I worship more fully.  I read more comprehensively.  It is in these times that I am the most still. 

This leads me to understand why we are to seek God early in the morning.  When I start my day in this way I am a better man throughout the day.  It is also I think why we are asked to be still and recognize God for who he is.  It is in the morning that I am most “as I am.” 

I come to God freshly awake and mostly naked of pretense.  As I my feet hit floor I give my life to him.  As I make my way down stairs a song of devotion makes its way through my head.  As I start the coffee I ponder what I need to work out for the morning to be prepared my attempt to be a reflection of Christ throughout the day.  As I make my way to my writing office I anticipate what my Bible reading and my devotional guide will have to teach me this morning.  In between these thoughts I pray for my family and friends.

It is in the still relative darkness of my home where I can be still.  In the morning when I am free to come to God completely as I am I find that I can expose my innermost self and feel safe.  No matter how I fell as the day begins it is in the stillness of Christ that I find the courage and strength for today’s part of the journey.  It is in that time that I truly believe that earth has no sorrows that heaven cannot heal.  I think we will find what we need if we really learn to be still and listen.

Learn to be Still – The Eagles

It's just another day in paradise
As you stumble to your bed
You'd give anything to silence
Those voices ringing in your head
You thought you could find happiness
Just over that green hill
You thought you would be satisfied
But you never will-
Learn to be still

We are like sheep without a shepherd
We don't know how to be alone
So we wander 'round this desert
And wind up following the wrong gods home
But the flock cries out for another
And they keep answering that bell
And one more starry-eyed messiah
Meets a violent farewell-
Learn to be still
Learn to be still

Now the flowers in your garden
They don't smell so sweet
Maybe you've forgotten
The heaven lying at your feet

There are so many contradictions
In all these messages we send
(We keep asking)
How do I get out of here?
Where do I fit in?
Though the world is torn and shaken
Even if your heart is breakin'
It's waiting for you to awaken
And someday you will-
Learn to be still
Learn to be still

You just keep on runnin'
Keep on runnin'

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment