26 October 2014

It Ain't Yours to Throw Away – First Thoughts

Greetings Dear Reader,

I am not a fan of country music.  However, every once in a while there is a song that transcends genre and preferences.  Content and context are what matter when it comes to music.  As I have said before there is madness in me that cares for itself by constantly playing a soundtrack in my head as I walk through life. 

Yesterday I saw someone I love that I have not seen in a bit and this song from the show Nashville popped into my head.  It got me thinking about some important considerations as I turn my heart toward the next few months.  As I prepare All Hallows Eve, the Thanksgiving Season, and Advent I consider that things that this involves in my journey with Christ.

Whether it is moments or lifetimes we have been given each as a gift.  We live in a world where increasingly we think our lives are our own to do with as we please.  This is such a great lie.  As much as I want my “freedom” and “independence” that is not what I have.  What I have is free will within the confines of world where the rules are made by God.

My belief or unbelief will not change this.  My life may contain the freedom to make my own choices but only in the context of rules and a framework make by God.  My life, my love, and my gifts are all components of a vessel that God armed and engined for is purposes. 

In the journey toward God we are to walk a narrow path.  The things I am given for that journey have a purpose.  Those things are not mine.  They are on loan from God.  They are not mine to throw away.  Whether I call it ceasing the day or sucking the marrow out of life I have an obligation to God to use those gifts.

As I prepare to hallow, show gratitude, and celebrate I must ponder the things that are mine to care for but not mine to throw away.  I have thrown away things I should not have and I have been thrown away by others.  This life; this journey is not mine to throw away.  I will, therefore, ponder the things this includes for a bit.  Walk and talk with me for a bit if you will Dear Reader.  As always, your thoughts on this are precious to me.  I promise to treasure them and not throw them away. 

It Ain’t Yours to Throw Away – Clare Bowen & Sam Palladio

That same road that brought you here
Will sure as hell take you home
The life you left behind will have you back
You're tired of paying dues in worn out shoes
And Broadway blues
And any fool will tell you
The damn ol' deck is stacked

What if you're just a vessel?
And God gave you something special

It ain't yours to throw away
It ain't yours to throw away
Every time you open up your mouth
Diamonds come rolling out
It ain't yours to throw away
No...

And all of the players, the movers, and shakers
The story maker suits have gone home
You drew the last slot
You thought it was your shot
But now it's just one more chance blown

What if you're just a vessel?
And God gave you something special

It ain't yours to throw away
It ain't yours to throw away
Every time you open up your mouth
Diamonds come rolling out
It ain't yours to throw away
No...

And our town is cold as January
Life comes true, and dreams get buried
Every day...
Destiny won't be denied

It ain't yours to throw away
No, it ain't yours to throw away
'Cause every time you open up your mouth
Diamonds come rolling out
It ain't yours to throw away

It ain't yours to throw away ...
Throw away

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment