13 October 2014

Second Thoughts – An Un-Holiday

Greetings Dear Reader,

Sometimes I will end the day with thoughts that are important to get out.  Usually I just write them and put them in my journal folder.  I have chosen that on occasion I will share them with you Dear Reader.

In the midst of the things we commemorate today there are things glorious and things inane.  For most of the nation today is Columbus Day.  A cursory look at the actual history of this individual will reveal that he does not merit a holiday or the many things named for him. 

I must grant that he had courage to sail the ocean and be an explorer.  Past that he is guilty of rape, murder, enslavement, and thievery.  This should not be a holiday but rather a day of remembrance for those who were victims of his genocide and oppression.

We do not really see history as it is.  We see as we are told to see it.  Until I read a more accurate writing about Columbus and his activities he was one of my heroes.  I have always admired explorers and I was taught he was one of the greats.  I still have fight off the anger when I realize how little I knew about his actual life.

As a Christ follower I cannot honor a man who did so much harm to so many.  I cannot claim to love my neighbor and God and allow others to be oppressed and abused.  I spent some time today remember the beauty and culture that was destroyed by his choices.  I reminded myself that using God as weapon against others is contrary to what God wishes (Columbus convinced the indigenous people of Jamaica that he could make the moon disappear so that they would give him food.)

It is good to enjoy a day off but perhaps we should do it for the right reason.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment