08 October 2014

What are You Thinking? – This Sin is Worse

Greetings Dear Reader,

Since I plan my writing ahead of time I found it wonderful that I was thinking in the same furrow as my pastor this week.  One of the things he mentioned was that we see some sin and worse than others.  This is truly an exercise in foolishness.

I will agree that from a purely sociological aspect that some sin is more heinous and detestable.  Most of that though is because it is criminal.  Anything that harms a child is unacceptable.  The same for things that harm, take advantage of, or take from anyone who is downtrodden. 

It is valid that on a social level we want to protect those who are weaker, wanting, or without opportunity.  That, however, is not purely an issue with God.  We must attend to these things if we are to follow Christ.  They are not the core issue.  They are a means to identifying that Christ has impacted us.  

Sin is sin.  There is only one standard with God.  Are we being obedient to him?  We are to do two things:  Love God with all our heart and love each other unconditionally.  We fail at both constantly.  Therefore, we sin.  If we say we do not sin then we sin by lying, therefore, we sin.  There is no way around it.

When I compare severity of sin I am exercising in the area of futility.  I do this only to make me feel better about the sin I currently court.  I do this so I will feel better when I should not.  When I fail to own my sin I fail to be in harmony with how God views it.  In this I also sin.

So the answer for me is easy.  There is no sin worse than failing to be in harmony with God.  If that seems like a contradiction then one must realize that ALL sin is failing to be in harmony with God.  I cannot afford to categorize the sins of others when so much effort is needed to combat my own sin. 

Thinking well is doing what is right and realizing how far I still have to go.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment