28 November 2014

On Giving Thanks – Black Friday

Greetings Dear Reader,

I usually spend the Friday after Thanksgiving bell ringing for the Salvation Army and putting up Christmas decorations.  I really do feel that there is both wisdom and foolishness to be had in the merchandising aspect of this day. 

It is not wrong to advertise, host sales, and generate excitement about gift giving.  I do find that the statistics reflect greed more than giving.  According to one report 76% of the people out shopping this morning are shopping for themselves. 

As the shopping has bled over into merchants opening on Thanksgiving Day the greed has become more obvious.  I cannot imagine asking someone who worked for me to work on Thanksgiving Day.  I realize that emergency and care giving services are necessary.  I also know that there are plenty of businesses that do just fine without being open on holidays. I will talk more about that tomorrow.

There is also good to be done on Black Friday.  If one does go out amongst the bargain miners one can be kind and courteous.  One can remember to represent Christ in the congress had with shoppers and shop keepers.  It works best if we remember that even if we are angling for the last on sale whiz bang thing that we are obligated to represent Christ. 

I will be working all day today and then resting for the drive home tomorrow.   I will decorate my home this weekend and my get around to shopping next week. For now I will listen to my Daughter snore as she grabs a few hours sleep having been out all night shopping.   I know that whilst she was in the fray she was kind to others.  She will have stories of the people she encountered.  She will have been wise with her money 

Currently I am looking forward to a few hours of quiet whilst I wait to being my day.  I hope you are well fed and comfortable Dear Reader.   If you are out shopping when you read this let me know how you are faring.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment