29 November 2014

On Giving Thanks – Chick-Fil-A

Greetings Dear Reader,

I realize that a chicken restaurant may seem like an odd thing to be thankful for but its placement here is both intentional and worthy.  A short time back this business received a lot of bad press over and ill-timed comment in our all too sensitive political society.  I am thankful for the food, work, and advertising of this amazing restaurant chain.

I first want to talk about what is really important; the Chick-fil-A Foundation.   Truett Cathy, the founder of Chick-Fil-A believed in hard work and good ethics cemented in Biblical principles.   We lost Mr. Cathy this year but what he build will long honor his faith and his memory.  The foundation he funded through his company works hard to build solid youth with a good education.  Learning mattered to Mr. Cathy and his foundation has that as one of its core missions.

This is a business that puts its valued out front.  They are closed on Sundays.  They are good to their workers.  They treat customers with respect and like family all at once.  More than once on a visit home to Georgia I have told a Chick-Fil-A manager that I lived in the frozen north and that my arrival at his establishment signaled my first chicken sandwich in months or even sometimes years.  This is several times resulted in a free chicken biscuit.  I am always grateful.

Another of the things for which I am thankful is the food that they make.  It is clearly the  best chicken sandwich  I have ever had and the chicken biscuits are beyond compare.  I yearn for this when I return to the south and count the minutes when I arrive in the vicinity of the franchise until I can garner some of their cuisine.  I will speak more about this in a moment.

One of the tortures I have endured is that Chick-Fil-A has amazing advertising that sometimes reaches in my home market.  This advertising is in the form of some very clever cows admonishing us to eat more chicken.  The ads are brilliant and compelling.  They are also painful when you know the nearest restaurant is over three hours away. 

Recently these commercials began showing up on my local stations with great regularity.  Had I not th the town in which I live will get its own Chick-Fil-A with all the perks that accompany said event. 
been preparing to journey south for Thanksgiving it would have been unbearable.   It was painful anyway.  Then I learned that on December 4

As I journey home today instead of the sadness I often feel when I pass the last opportunity for a real chicken sandwich I anticipate five days hence when I can get one any morning I wish except Sundays.  It is truly a blessing to our community and me.  Well Dear Reader, I am off to grab a couple of chicken biscuits for the road.  Tomorrow I will close out this series from my writing room at home.  Until then know that I am thankful for you and your company on the journey.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment