05 November 2014

Second Thoughts – Election Results

Greetings Dear Reader,

Sometimes I will end the day with thoughts that are important to get out.  Usually I just write them and put them in my journal folder.  I have chosen that on occasion I will share them with you Dear Reader.

All of the polls closed and the votes were counted.  Most of the campaigns are settled.  The responses I saw today overwhelmed me.  I know that I have friends on both sides of the isle that are Christ followers.  Some of the things that were said neglect the sovereignty of God at best.  It is possible that some of them outright deny it. 

One friend posted, “Proof there is no God.  The Governor was reelected.”   I know she is disappointed.  I think she was joking.  Another friend of mine expressed his disappointment with the entire state.  I had another friend who was crying over the results.  I was so moved to compassion because she cares so deeply for things that other neglect.

I realize that politics can be polarizing.  Someone very close to me attacked and insulted me because I dared to say something positive about an elected official whom he dislikes.  I can only imagine how hurt some people must be at the outcome of the election.

Win or lose though, every election is an exercise in faith.  We think that we determine who is President, Governor, or Jester.  We do not.  God chooses our leaders based on our needs and his plan.  If I believe that God is sovereign then he has already planned his response to whomever is elected. 

It is my duty to lose or win in my preference graciously.  It is my obligation to show respect for every elected official no matter how deeply I may disagree with his policies.  It is my calling to live above even the politics of the day and work toward showing the love of Christ to all in every endeavor. 

Whether you are red or blue if you claim to follow Christ then you are obligated to find common ground in Christ with those who disagree with you.  You are required to love them.  I am obligated to comfort, respect, and take the yelling by responding in love and compassion.  I need to understand the needs of those around me and care more about that than politics.  That is the only way I can win anything.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)


No comments:

Post a Comment