03 December 2014

Why I love Christmas – Bells

Happy Christmas Dear Reader,

It is one of those sounds that trigger anticipation and joy in me.  I usually hear it as I am moving from my car to a store.  It is a high ringing sound carried on the cold air.  The rhythm is rarely constant but the timber is clear.  It draws me to it and my spirit unfolds in compassion and generosity.

I am speaking of the Salvation Army bell of course.  It draws me to give.  I try to never pass up a red kettle.  I volunteer to ring for them each year.  Many of my local family join me.  It is a wonderful chance to spread Christmas cheer with the bonus helping those in need of common necessities.

I pray for the time to become a tradition in my family after I am gone.  I pray for the people I encounter to be moved to help others even if they pass up my kettle.  We sing Christmas songs as we ring.  We treat the store that is our host with respect.  It is a beautiful opportunity that brings me so much joy.

The Salvation Army always has more shifts than they have volunteers.  One can volunteer to help at Ringbells.org .  It is easy and well worth the time.  If you do ring bells I would love to read about it as a comment below.  Sharing your experience would enhance my joy Dear Reader.

Below is the original presentation of this song from the movie The Lemon Drop Kid.  It is not the best rendition of the song but still worth the watch/listen.  The Bing Crosby or Anne Murray versions are among my favorites. 

There are other bells I love; Church bells, sleigh bells, and the single bell on my Santa bandana (a gift from a friend many years ago).  I wear the latter all year round.  No matter where the sound emanates from it is a bell that draws me to love the giving aspect of Christmas.  It is for me a call to generosity.  It is a reminder of how blessed my life is and that others have great need.  It is also an opportunity to remember that I can provide common comforts beyond meeting needs.

Listen for the bells.  Find joy in their message and the journey to share with others all that God provides.  Tell me your story Dear Reader.   

Silver Bells – Bob Hope and Marilyn Maxwell – The Lemon Drop Kid

Silver bells silver bells
It's Christmas time in the city
Hear the bells go ring-a-ling
Soon it will be Christmas day

City sidewalks busy sidewalks .
Dressed in holiday style
In the air there's a feeling of Christmas
Children laughing
People passing
Meeting smile after smile
And on every street corner you'll hear

Silver bells, silver bells
It's Christmas time in the city
Ring-a-ling, hear them ring
Soon it will be Christmas day

Strings of street lights
Even stop lights
Blink a bright red and green
As the shoppers rush home with their treasures

Hear the snow crunch
See the kids rush
This is Santa's big scene
And above all this bustle
You'll hear

Silver bells, silver bells
It's Christmas time in the city
Ring-a-ling, hear them ring
Soon it will be Christmas day

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store." 

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment