12 December 2014

Why I love Christmas – Eggnog

Happy Christmas Dear Reader,

There are many things I love about Christmas and this is one of them.  Last year I was quite unsettled concerning a certain coffee company discontinuing production of their eggnog flavored coffee.  For the record that situation has not resolved itself but in the category of unexpected blessings I did find a pound well preserved in my freezer. 

The truth is I love eggnog and purchase it as soon as the quality stuff is available.  It is one of those things that I could drink way too fast and consume way too much.  It, therefore, becomes an excellent exercise in Christmas moderation.  It is also not cheap and sometimes I am.

That said I will offer a couple of my favorite recipes so that one so inclined can make homemade if one wishes.  My favorite is Alton Brown’s recipe from his TV show Good Eats.  It is rich and thick and the bourbon is optional.

The Instructables’ recipe is excellent and easy to follow. I recommend never using “light” products to make eggnog.  This is supposed to be rich, creamy, and a celebration.  Again it is easier to make than one would think.

I realize that at this point I usually have a spiritual application for my own life.  I do but it may seem overly simplistic.  Eggnog reminds me of the vast blessings in my life.  It puts me in mind that I have so much richness because of God’s blessings.  The smell, the texture, and the taste all speak to me of things that are rich and sweet.  “Oh taste and see that the Lord is good.”

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store." 

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment