22 December 2014

Why I love Christmas – Giving Gifts

Happy Christmas Dear Reader,

When I was a boy I could not wait to get the Sears Wish Book and begin circling the toys what I wanted.  I remember the sadness I felt when Sears quit publishing the Wish Book.  I truly miss it, although, I wonder if I would find it as enchanting now.

At the moment one cannot get to our Christmas tree.  It is besieged by boxes and bags.  So much joy exists for me in giving good gifts to my family.  As I have mentioned I Christmas shop all year round.  I am constantly taking note of my children’s needs.  I am always on the lookout for things that will please and delight my Grandsons. 

I love giving to others.  I plan my secret plans for helping others in need.  I long to reflect Christ in a spirit of giving out of love and not obligation.  As a constant observer of people I listen to other shoppers when I am out and about.  I hear people complain about having to get a gift for this or that person.  I listen as people degrade relatives for who they are Christmas shopping. 

This is something that I will never understand.  Then again I used to be very particular about what I “wanted” for Christmas.  Now I really do not pay all that much attention to what I want.  When I my family get me gifts I find joy in that they have given to me from the heart. 

It is in giving from the heart that things make a difference.  It is what God does for me.  He gave me his Son when I deserved nothing. He promised to work toward peace on earth through that Son.  All he asked of me was that I accept the gift. I do not have to be on the nice list.  I do not have to do anything for him.

This is what I wish for my gifts to represent.  My Son, Bezel needed some help with his car prior to Thanksgiving.  He asked his mother and I to help as a Christmas gift.  Of course we helped.  He keeps preparing himself for a “small” Christmas in light to the expense of the repairs.  He still does not understand the nature of the gifts we desire for him. 

Like my Son I wish for everyone to see that God wishes only good things for us.  I everyone to catch a glimpse of God’s nature in my gift giving.  He gives his very best to us.  I try to do the same with those I love.  In a world where Christmas is more commercial every year I hope to recapture the image of grace and love from God in the way I shop, wrap, and give.  It is after all better to give that to receive.


Do you remember me?
I sat upon your knee
I wrote to you
With childhood fantasies

Well, I'm all grown-up now
And still need help somehow.
I'm not a child
But my heart still can dream

So here's my lifelong wish
My grown-up Christmas list
Not for myself
But for a world in need

No more lives torn apart
That wars would never start,
And time would heal all hearts
And everyone would have a friend
And right would always win
And love would never end
This is my grown-up Christmas list

As children we believed
The grandest sight to see
Was something lovely
Wrapped beneath our tree
Well heaven surely knows
That packages and bows
Can never heal
A hurting human soul

No more lives torn apart
That wars would never start
And time would heal all hearts
And everyone would have a friend
And right would always win
And love would never end
This is my grown-up Christmas list

What is this illusion called the innocence of youth?
Maybe only in our blind belief can we ever find the truth

No more lives torn apart
That wars would never start
And time would heal all hearts
And everyone would have a friend
And right would always win
And love would never end, oh
This is my grown-up Christmas list
This is my only lifelong wish
This is my grown-up Christmas list

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store." 

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment