08 December 2014

Why I love Christmas – The Idea of Santa Claus

Happy Christmas Dear Reader,

When I was a boy and people would ask me what I wished to be when I grew up I never told them the truth.  I tried once and was told it would never happen so I quit telling people.  When I was little I wanted to be Santa.  I bought it all and wanted the job.

The idea of spending the entire year preparing for Christmas and then making millions of people happy echoed in my core.  Much of my spirit of giving is still rooted in that echo.  When I realized the ramifications of the idea of Santa Claus I never let go of the idea. 

The world could use someone whose entire career was devoted to gift giving.  I realize that at some point one must bridge the gap between fantasy and reality in a way that works and is healthy.  I think that parents who follow Christ struggle with this because of both practical and social implications.  Last week I read an excellent article on this issue; Redeeming Santa Claus by Reverend Robert Cunningham of Tate’s Creek Presbyterian Church.  He discusses this issue well enough that I do not need to add my redundancy. 

The idea of Santa Claus for me is one that in reality touches the need for the mysterious and magical to be a part of the practical.  This is truly only found in Christ who is the bridge between the supernatural and the natural worlds.  He is the one who makes the unbelievable real.  He uses faith to as the engine for us to engage in this process.  “Seeing is not believing.  Believing is seeing.”   

When it comes to children and Santa I used the idea that Rev. Cunningham suggests with my children.  It was good for one of them and the other one wanted Santa to be real for his own purposes.  I know that as I grow older I want there to be a real Santa for all the right purposes.  The world needs Christ and it needs humans who care about giving for the right reasons.  If the job comes open I am applying for it.

Here Comes Santa Claus – Gene Autry

Here comes Santa Claus, here comes Santa Claus,
Right down Santa Claus lane
Vixen and Blitzen and all his reindeer
Pullin' on the reins
Bells are ringin', children singin'
All is merry and bright
Hang your stockings and say your prayers
'Cause Santa Claus comes tonight!

Here comes Santa Claus, here comes Santa Claus,
Right down Santa Claus lane
He's got a bag that's filled with toys
For boys and girls again
Hear those sleigh bells jingle jangle,
Oh what a beautiful sight
So jump in bed and cover your head
'Cause Santa Claus comes tonight!

Here comes Santa Claus, here comes Santa Claus,
Right down Santa Claus lane
He doesn't care if you're rich or poor
He loves you just the same
Santa Claus knows we're all Gods children
That makes everything right
So fill your hearts with Christmas cheer
'Cause Santa Claus comes tonight!

Here comes Santa Claus, here comes Santa Claus,
Right down Santa Claus lane
He'll come around when the chimes ring out
That it's Christmas morn again
Peace on earth will come to all
If we just follow the light
So lets give thanks to the lord above
That Santa Claus comes tonight!

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store." 

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment