14 December 2014

Why I love Christmas – Wrapping Presents (not)

Happy Christmas Dear Reader,

I have friends and family that are gifted present wrappers.  I am not.  When I wrap gifts they look like very pretty paper held hostage by tape.  I do live by the one roll of tape per gift limit and the one roll of paper per gift too.

My solution to this has been to get reusable boxes for the people for whom I regularly get gifts.  It makes the wrapping and arrangement easy and enjoyable for me.  It makes the opening of presents less messy.  I am sure the drop in wrapping paper sales over the recent years is my fault.  The Scotch Tape people are not happy with me either.

What is fun for me is the placing of the gifts in the boxes.  I do not choose gifts for my family randomly.  I think and listen all year long.  Gift buying for my children and grandchildren is a sacred thing to me.  I pray and worship as I shop.  I want my gifts to them to reflect God’s love and gift to them.

As I fill each box I pray that the gift will meet the intended need for enjoyment or work.  I ask God to reveal his love for the recipient through my love for him or her.  It is after all the love that matters. The very foundation of Christmas is a celebration of God’s gift of love to us.  Without that core it is simply a time of getting and spending. 

I spent last evening boxing up the gifts for my Sons.  I am not done yet.  By tonight the boxes should be filled, stacked, and tagged.  I will continue to pray that these gifts reflect my love for my family and friends.  I will continue to monitor their lives for the things they like, need, and enjoy. 

This is what God does for me.  He brings into my life things that I need or the things that will help me see his love for me more clearly.   They journey is sweeter because of this.  The roughest parts of the path are bearable because of his provision.  Each day is a gift that I get to open and see the love that Christ has for me. 

“Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift.
That is why it’s called the present.”

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store." 

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

1 comment:

  1. Now I understand those boxes at your house! Honestly wrapping gifts is one of my favorite things to do! I used to LOVE doing it at the mall. Great fun.

    ReplyDelete