26 January 2015

Did You Hear? – Practical Practice

Greetings Dear Reader,

I said earlier in this conversation that I had quit preaching and gone to meddling.  I am about to meddle some more.  I am going to suggest some very practical ways to avoid gossip. Please remember that most of this is for my own sake.  It is to learn how to be the best I can be in my interactions with others. 

As I dive right in to these practical steps I urge you to keep the meat and throw away the bones.  If I have helped you in some Dear Reader, it would do me good to know.  The first thing is something I have heard often.  I do not know where it originates but it is of great value.  We must always THINK before we speak.

T-Is it true
H-Is it helpful
I-Is it inspiring
N-Is it necessary
K-Is it kind
 
I think that those are self-explanatory.  You have other options as well.  If someone else is doing the gossiping one can instead say something good about the person upon who others are feasting.  People will either stop, reinforce their hurtful position, or not gossip around you.  If the gossip is reinforced then one can politely extract one’s self from the conversation. 

Another practical thing for me is to remember that the very least of those among us is still someone loved by God.  There is no one who is not worthy of kindness and love.  There is no one to whom I am not committed to give my respect.  I must always speak and act in love to everyone.

If none of the external motivations work for me there is always this:  Christ promised that I would give account for every word I spoke.  I must capture every thought.  I must ensure that my inner life can be exposed with a slip of the tongue and weak moment.  If what is in my heart is love and respect then out of that abundance I will speak.

It I assure that I am thinking kindly of everyone then I will gladly speak my heart.  It I am good to others then they will be more likely to see my meager attempts to reflect Christ.  It is after all how I wish to be treated. 

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment