22 January 2015

Did You Hear? – Shooting the Wounded

Greetings Dear Reader,

I think as we have walked through this together we have established that we all love a good scandal.  Some love it most when it involves leaders in the Church.  When there is scandal involving a pastor the air becomes electric with judgment and rancor.  Even those in leadership rush to condemn their fellow travelers.

I always think of Jesus response to the woman that the Pharisees were about to stone for adultery.  “Let the one without sin throw the first stone.”  Incidentally the one who could have thrown the stone was Jesus.  Instead he went to the woman, lifted her up, and told her to go on her way and not repeat the behaviour:  “Go and sin no more.”

It seems to me that too many Christ followers carry around a bag of rocks.  We are quick to judge and condemn other believers at the first hint of something scandalous.  We share the “news” in the form a saying, “oh pray for Pastor Parson.  I heard he was caught doing unseemly things with his secretary.”

Let me tell you what a small church in south Florida did when their pastor was caught in an affair.  They found someone to take his duties for a year.  They arranged counseling for him and his spouse and separately the woman with whom he had the affair.  The promised to continue his salary for the year and restore him if he and his wife would stay together and spend the year building the strength back into their marriage.

When the pastor asked his elders why they would do this the response was so very holy and righteous.  The lead elder said that as a council they unanimously agreed that they had placed too many demands on the pastor without attending to his personal and family needs.  The board acknowledged their part in the sin and neglect that had eroded the man they had chosen to lead them. 

The means they chose to atone for the sin was to hopefully set an example for other Christ followers.  There was scandal in the church and some people left when the board dealt with the situation in a congregational meeting.  There was ample judgment and hate in the room.  It was, however, trumped by love and compassion.  As of last Sunday, eleven year after the events, that husband and wife are still at that church and he is a fine pastor.

Should this not be the normal response when a Christ follower sins.  We are commanded, when we see someone overtaken by sin to restore them in humility and love.  Instead we shoot our wounded as often as possible.  We find reason to condemn and hate.

What if every scandal were responded to with restorative, barrier crushing love?  Would this not increase credibility?  Would it not save families and churches?  I know that have been on both ends of the gun when it comes to shooting the wounded Christ follower.  By God’s grace I hope to never again be on either side.  I hope to always choose to love and restore.  If Jesus is not throwing rocks, I should not be either.

Fighting to Survive – Building 429

Crying on the inside and it cuts me deep
'Cause I know you're gonna smile when I fall
I can't help but feel the fear when I'm standing here
'Cause I know you're gonna laugh if I have to crawl

Can you see the desperation?
But you don't know my situation

'Cause I, I'm fighting to survive
Can't you see it in my eyes?
Please don't push me anymore
But I, I'm still fighting to believe
That there is hope for me
Somewhere beneath the very least of these

And I can't help but feel ashamed when I know the truth
That there was more than I surmised inside your heart
I want to make it go away but you bear the proof
My words burnt through your skin and left you scarred

I didn't see the desperation; somehow I didn't see your situation

Because I've been fighting to survive
I didn't see it in your eyes
But I won't hurt you anymore
And I, I'm fighting to believe
That there is hope for me
Somewhere beneath the least of these

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment