29 January 2015

Honest Words – First Thoughts

Greetings Dear Reader,

Recently I was watching the first season of Parenthood.  I realize I am late to the party on this one but other things have my primary attention.  In episode 3, The Deep End of the Pool, Zeek Braverman played by Craig T. Nelson said something the struck a profound cord in me.  He and his daughter are looking for car parts.  He says, “I love how they call it ‘automotive recycling’ now. What's wrong with ‘junk’? Junk's an honest word.”

It seems our culture needs to rename everything to something that sounds green, socially acceptable, or politically correct.  This grates on me in a way that I find more irritating every day.  I just told someone yesterday when he was struggling to find the right word that he never needs to be politically correct with me.  He seemed so relieved. 

In a world where we need honest communication we instead shroud things in an ambiguity of minced words.  Layoffs become “reduction in force.”  I was recently told that I could not use the term “brainstorm” because it may offend those with cerebral disorders.  Instead I was instructed to use the term “thought shower”.   It is good that my inner clutch was working because my thought response surely needed a shower.

In addition to someone trying to control what I say, I am truly opposed to being told that perfectly honest words need to be replaced because someone might not like the words I choose to use.  I really get steamed (forgive me if I am offending people who use steam for some arcane purpose) when someone tries to tell me what I mean by what I say. As an author I believe in and will die to defend authorial intent.

I am going to explore some words that I feel are perfectly good words and that I intend to go on using.  I will try to be humorous but may drift into the curmudgeonly, recalcitrant, and irascible.  Words are so vital to me and the way in which we interact.  I tend to get very emotional about this issue.

My goal is to honestly examine how I communicate and assure that I am not being obtusely offensive.  It is also to remember why I use the words I do.  Words have meaning.  That meaning is assigned by the user.  I need to assure that the words I use truly communicate my intent and my heart.

This will hopefully be fun.  Feel free to interact and ask questions.  Feel free to disagree. Mostly remember that this journey is for me to learn to be a better human.  I realize that “human” has “man” in it but I assure my intent is to include all genders in that word.  I do not want my love and kindness to be hindered by words that do not communicate that.  Sometimes though I might just need to come with a warning label. 

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment