17 January 2015

Losses Not Our Own

Greetings Dear Reader,

I have mentioned often my favorite diner.  I go there Friday mornings for breakfast.  Since my first visit a particular waitress has been accepting and kind to me.  She is good to my children and grandchildren.  She always treats us well.

Angel of Grief - Daniel Hartwig
Yesterday as she poured my coffee she informed me that her mother had just passed away.  Tears filled her eyes as she accepted condolence and comfort from me.  She if from Israel and will not be able to return home for the family funeral.  She sat with me for a few moments and expressed her pain and loss.

Last year my dear friends Ashley and James lost a daughter suddenly and unexpectedly.  As a parent who has lost a child I can tell you that this inconsolable pain.  As they worked through their grief I could see the love and faith they carry.  There was little I could do for them but pray.

I think that this is a very central piece of following Christ that we carry a bit of the losses of others with us.  Every man’s death diminishes me.  Every soul is a soul that is God’s and he calls it back to his presence when he wishes.  We do not understand or accept always.  It is up to us to care for each other until acceptance is possible.

My friends’ losses are my losses.  Their pain must be my pain as well. I cannot feel it the way they do but I can assure them that I know loss and accept theirs with love and compassion.  Not knowing what to “do” for those in pain must not keep us from loving, listening, comforting, and praying.  It must not drive us away but pull us closer.

There is not loss of life that does not impact me.  Death keeps me honest by asking constantly if I care.  It keeps me honest by reminding me that everyone I encounter deserves my best in love, compassion, and kindness.   Any hope of faithfully following Christ must include for me the sure knowledge that there are no losses that are not my own.  After all, there are no losses that are not Christ’s as well.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment