14 February 2015

Every Diner – Opening Thoughts

Greetings Dear Reader,

Most of you know I have a favorite diner.  I eat breakfast there almost every Friday.  Occasionally a friend will join me in the early hours of the morning.  Most of the time my company is the rest of the regulars who seem to live there every morning. 

Most of know places like this.  The entire TV series Cheers was based on a place where everybody know your name.  We want to feel like there are places where people really care.  We want to know that if we are having hardship and we talk about it someone will listen.

Instead being good to each other we tend to pass by not seeing that every individual is a soul on the journey back to God.  The contrast that is always set up in my mind is that between what the church is supposed to be for others and what I experience in other places.  I do not think the church in America has become irrelevant but I fear it is headed that way.

I do not adhere to most things represented by a social gospel but I firmly believe that the Gospel must be enacted socially before it can be effective.  If I do not show you that I care then how will you see that Jesus cares?  This contrast taxes me often. 

Recently I have seen my own church fail miserably to be what it claims to be for its people.   I know that the leadership there is true to the things they believe.  I think that they would horrified to think that they have perpetuated a perception that they are other than faithfully living out the Gospel socially.  Were I not a believer I would have serious doubts based on things I have experienced over the last year.

I am not going to air my complaints publically but I need to spend some time reminding myself who I am supposed to be as a part of the Church that is commissioned to reach the world.  Feel free to discuss this with me as we walk.  Your input is always of great value Dear Reader.

Johnny’s Café – John Fischer

Wasting the day down at Johnny’s Café,
All kinds of people there with plenty to say,
If you got nothing to say to folks at Johnny’s Café,
You got nothing to say at all.

Walk in any day and you’ll find a slice of life at your table;
One man leaving his wife another wishing he was able,
An old man trying to forget a young one looking for a label,
And the stories they tell you can’t tell if they’re true of they’re fable.

And the lady pouring coffee she knows the regulars by name.
If she doesn't know you she calls you “honey” just the same.
And we all love to hear it,
Even if she has to fake it,
‘Cause it’s nice to think that someone really cares;
Someone cares.

Go spend the day down at Johnny’s Café,
All kinds of people there with plenty to say,
If you got nothing to say to folks at Johnny’s Café,
You got nothing to say at all.

Half a mile down the road you’ll find a church with a steeple.
And on Sundays the pews are full of well-dressed beautiful people.
There’s a leading politician whose wife is musician in the choir.
A corporation head who is trying to get a little bit higher.

And the preacher pouring sermons he knows the regulars by name.
If he doesn’t know you he’ll shake your hand just the same.
And we all love to hear it,
Even if we have to fake it,
But it would be nice if someone really cared;
Someone cared.

Go spend the day down at Johnny’s Café,
All kinds of people there with plenty to say,
Now if Jesus were here I think we’d find him today down at Johnny’s café.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

1 comment:

  1. great to see Johnny's Cafe mentioned here. Did you know John Fischer just released that album for digital download? Love it. https://johnfischer.bandcamp.com/album/johnnys-cafe

    Thanks for your posts!!

    ReplyDelete