21 February 2015

Every Diner – Tipping

Greetings Dear Reader,

I find that when I see someone else tipping badly it irritates me.  I am keenly aware of how hard people in the service industry work.  At my favorite diner the servers work long days on their feet all day. 

This past week I saw a man leave a twenty-five cent tip for an eight dollar meal.  I do not know the man and do not wish to judge him.  It seems that if one can afford the meal one can afford the tip.  If not, perhaps one should order something less expensive because tipping is implied and right.

I know the level of service at this diner and the quality of the food.  The latter by the way should never impact how one treats the server including the tip.  It is vital that one keep this distinction.  The person carrying your bacon and eggs from the pass to your table is worthy of kindness and respect.

This translates to the larger world for Christ followers.  We must be generous.  I am not going to equate this to giving to the church.  That is something that each individual must ponder on his or her own.  What I do want to focus on is that Christ followers are to be known for their generosity.

I also feel that someone needs to make up the difference for those who tip too little.  When I tip honestly and generously I can make a difference.  I can improve the day and perhaps over time the life of a server just by being a little more thoughtful.  The essence of the Gospel is seeing that everyone matters to God. 

If I do not purposefully see that server in this light I am in danger of not seeing her at all.  I am in danger ignoring that she keeps my coffee cup full.  I am in danger of taking for granted that she knows what I want for breakfast most mornings without me saying a word.  I run the risk of her feeling that a regular customer does not care about her or her life.

I am not allowed to move through life without noticing, caring for, and acting on that care for others.  Every server in every diner is worthy of kindness and respect.  Leaving behind a few dollars to show the respect can be a sublime act of worship.   

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment