01 February 2015

Honest Words - Lose

Greetings Dear Reader,

Perhaps I should have dealt with this when I discussed failure.  I did not orchestrate that I would post this on Super bowl Sunday but here we are.  I hate that portions of our society have adopted a position that we do not lose.  A refusal to keep score at certain sporting events is a tremendous lie.  Tell me honestly that everyone watching does not keep score in his or her head anyway. 

There really are winners and losers.  How we lose is vital to our character development.  We never have to like it but it is an honest part of life.  Lose is an honest word.  The purpose of a sporting match is to determine a winner.  There must, therefore, be a loser.  Reports from leagues that have adopted a no score and no record policy are that every child and every parent knows the score and the win/loss record.

A collective lie that we do not keep score is not healthy for anyone.  It teaches us to deny the facts in hopes of promoting false good feelings.  Everyone loses sometimes.  Everyone fails at something.  When we teach people that they don’t lost we fail to prepare them for real life.

Another aspect of this is the disparity we create when we watch our favorite professional event; cheering for our favorite team or competitor.  The children we are setting examples for will see the hypocrisy in our reasoning and actions.

We lose.  We fail.  This is a simple binary decision that impacts the future.  Either we succeed or we do not.  To tell our children that they do not lose is to lie to them.  If we make the wrong binary choices in life then we lose.  If we deny this we are lose big.  Not going for the win in so many areas guarantees loss. 

I can be kind and lose.  I can be honest and good and still lose.  I give my very best and I still lose sometimes.  How we lose is often more important that how we win.  It makes winning sweeter.  It makes our character more refined.  It makes us hungry to do better.  Anything that makes us hungry to do better is a win. 

We will have great losses along the way.  We will lose things, opportunities, and people.  How we handle those losses impacts us whether we wish it or not.  We never had to like losing, but we will lose.  We will suffer loss.  Learning about loss is vital to our learning to win.  It is vital to our success in life. 

Fire and Rain – James Taylor

Just yesterday morning they let me know you were gone
Susanne the plans they made put an end to you
I walked out this morning and I wrote down this song
I just cant remember who to send it to

I've seen fire and I`ve seen rain
I've seen sunny days that I thought would never end
I've seen lonely times when I could not find a friend
But I always thought that Id see you again

Wont you look down upon me, Jesus?
You've got to help me make a stand
You've just got to see me through another day
My body’s aching and my time is at hand
And I wont make it any other way

Oh, I`ve seen fire and Ive seen rain
I've seen sunny days that I thought would never end
I've seen lonely times when I could not find a friend
But I always thought that Id see you again

Been walking my mind to an easy time my back turned towards the sun
Lord knows when the cold wind blows itll turn your head around
Well, there’s hours of time on the telephone line to talk about things
To come
Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground

Oh, I`ve seen fire and I`ve seen rain
I've seen sunny days that I thought would never end
I've seen lonely times when I could not find a friend
But I always thought that Id see you, baby, one more time again, now

Thought Id see you one more time again
There’s just a few things coming my way this time around, now
Thought Id see you, thought Id see you fire and rain, now

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment