03 February 2015

Honest Words – Yes and No

Greetings Dear Reader,

This is quite simple but we make it so complex.  “Yes” and “No” used to be enough to seal a deal.  They are words that carry great weight.  We agree or disagree.  We commit of do not commit.  I am troubled that we no longer see yes and no and commitments.

Jesus was very clear that vows and oaths should not be necessary.  He was clear the yes and no are honest words that are binding.  When a simple yes or no does not seal the matter there is a problem.

So when asked about anything we should be able to honestly say yes or no and stand by it.  Instead we build excuses into our answers.  We give noncommittal answers so that we can weasel out later.  We even outright lie.

Over the years I have students give me a resounding yes when asked if they were going to be in class, do the work, or make up a quiz.  They knew when they said yes that they were lying.  The entire idea of an honest yes loses its value when we dissemble.

The “Yes” of marriage vows becomes a maybe when things get hard.  That same yes has no value when we are dragged away by other pursuits.  The “Yes” we give is a bond whether we wish it or not.  

Why I am asked anything I have a choice.   Once I agree to something I have given up that choice.  We do not get this.  We no longer really live it.  I must be someone whose yes and no are a bond.  I must do as I say I will do.  People must be able to depend on me.  I cannot follow Christ if I do not keep my word.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment