21 March 2015

My King – Impartial Mercy

Greetings Dear Reader,

A few months ago I was pulled over because I had not noticed that the speed limit had dropped from 35 to 30 in a residential zone.  The officer approached the car and I proffered greeted her, proffered my license and insurance card, and waited for her to speak.  She inquired if I knew how fast I was traveling.  I told the truth, 35 miles per hour. 

The officer explained that the last curve is where the speed limit changes from 35 to 30.  I apologized she nodded and went back to her car.  I waited.  When she returned she handed me back my licenses with a smile.  She explained that she seldom gets honest answers and respect at a traffic stop.  As she let me off with a warning she said, “It feels good to be merciful to those who deserve it.”

I was grateful and said so but as I drove away I pondered the nature of mercy.  Whilst I was thankful for the grace and kindness of the officer I was reminded that God’s mercy is impartial.  We are redeemed through faith by grace.  It is God’s mercy that extends redemption to us. 

The mercy extended to us is impartial.  It is not based on our honesty or good behaviour.  It is not dependent on our social standing or economic class.  The nature of God’s mercy is enduring and unconditional.  It is based on his love.  My King has no reason beyond his own love for us to instigate mercy.  He accepts anyone who will accept him.  He made the first move by dying for us to demonstrate his willingness to be merciful. 

It is the impartial mercy of my King that gives me space to get to the cross.  It is this same mercy that gives us succor and sustenance.  It is the King’s mercy that calls us to redemption and following.  We are guilty and he is forgiving.  We deserve to pay for our rejection of him but he is content to forgive us if we will accept that forgiveness.  That’s my King.

Mercy – Matt Redman

I will kneel in the dust
at the foot of the cross,
where mercy paid for me.
Where the wrath I deserve,
it is gone, it has passed.
Your blood has hidden me.

Mercy, mercy,
as endless as the sea.
I'll sing Your hallelujah
for all eternity.

We will lift up the cup
and the bread we will break,
remembering Your love.
We were fallen from grace,
but You took on our shame
and nailed it to a cross.

Mercy, mercy,
as endless as the sea.
I'll sing Your hallelujah
for all eternity.
[repeat]

May I never lose the wonder,
oh, the wonder of Your mercy.
May I sing Your hallelujah.
Hallelujah, Amen.

May I never lose the wonder,
oh, the wonder of Your mercy.
May I sing Your hallelujah.
Hallelujah, Amen.
[repeat]

I will kneel in the dust
at the foot of the cross,
where mercy paid for me.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment