26 April 2015

Rock Salt and Lava Lamps – First Thoughts

Greetings Dear Reader,

I buy rock salt by the fifty pound bag.  I use it for my water softener and for my front stoop to melt snow and ice.  I go through about fifteen bags a year.  That is 750 pounds of salt per year.  Even though salt is vital to life we take it for granted.  It is cheap and easy to acquire in our current system of commerce.

I have heard for years that Roman soldiers were paid in salt.  The first reference I can find for this is that of Pliny the Elder writing in the first century AD.  The etymology of both salary and salad are traceable to salt.  The mineral I throw on my driveway has been the essence of life, payment, and even wars in the past.

The historical context is important to understanding my role as a Christ follower.  In the same way that role is defined by something else the modern world takes for granted.  I summon light with the flick of a switch or an application on my phone.   Just last night I was at an excellent restaurant where the light was too dim for me to read the menu.  I simply touched a virtual button on the screen of my phone and the flash on the camera in the phone illuminated the menu for me.

With matches, candles, LED lights, and common lamps I can summon light into the darkness at will.  In context of the plentiful presence of salt and light what does it mean to be salt and light in the world?  Jesus refers to savorless salt and hidden light.  I must consider this as well. 

My journey is impossible without salt and light.  Life is impossible without it.  This is the metaphor for what I am supposed to be as a Christ follower.  How then am I to be it?  By looking at the value of salt and light in context of Christ’s comments it may further illuminate my understanding and give me a better taste of what I am to be. 

Sit by the fire with me for a moment as I ponder this part of the journey.  It could make for some savory conversation.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment