30 April 2015

Rock Salt and Lava Lamps - Flavor

Greetings Dear Reader,

The thing that most people think of when salt is in the conversation is food.  We use it to enhance flavor or in some cases to mask it.  One of my passions is cooking.  In the right proportions salt can bring out the richness and sparkle of other flavours.  It can balance out sweetness or acidic tones. 

Too much salt can ruin food.  The flavor becomes overbearing.  Once too much salt is in the food it cannot be taken out.  It is the proper insertion of salt, with care and control that makes the dish.  The salt is not the star, the food it seasons is.

Again the parallel is obvious.  If I am to be salt in the lives of others it is not I that should be the star of the show.  I must add flavor and balance out the sweet and the bitter.  I must only be present in enough quantity to add to the experience of Christ and not to overshadow it.

When I assure that I am an additive and wear the humble role the salt wears I can make a difference.  This is assuredly a challenge for me.  I have been told that I “fill up a room.”  I have also been called arrogant and self-absorbed.  It would be dishonest to say that these things are never true. 

I must assure that my role is to add flavor to life that makes Christ desirable.  The only way I succeed at that is through love and kindness.  My generosity must not be in presenting myself but in letting others savor who Christ is without overshadowing the gospel.  He must increase and I must decrease. 


Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment