14 April 2015

Second Thoughts – Instant Coffee

Greetings Dear Reader,

Sometimes I will end the day with thoughts that are important to get out.  Usually I just write them and put them in my journal folder.  I have chosen that on occasion I will share them with you Dear Reader.

There are few more vivid memories from my teenage years.  It is early morning and I enter the kitchen to prepare my breakfast.  My senses are assailed by the smell of Folgers Instant Coffee.  My dad drank it every morning.  Some of the best talks we ever had were during those wee morning hours over a cup of Folgers. 

Occasionally I do not have time to brew a fresh pot in the morning so I have a Keurig.  It was a gift from my Daughter Christmas.  I have the cups that go in the brewer as well as the empty cups that allow you to put your own coffee in them.  In short I have no end of ways to make coffee quickly in the morning.

After realizing that Christmas prefers instant coffee I purchased a jar of Folgers.  This morning I made a cup for my breakfast.   I was instantly transported back to that kitchen and those mornings with my dad.  It was a moment I will cherish.

I prefer a much more complex cup of coffee.  Today I was reminded once again that there is great treasure in simplicity.  There is vast value in the memories invoked by the smell and then taste of my teenage mornings.  I love you dad.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment