18 April 2015

Talismans – Closing Thoughts

Greetings Dear Reader,

I suppose if one were to see my writing office that does not know they would see me surrounded with and odd collection of mundane things.  I could talk about many more of them.  There are two empty cigarette packs, a snow globe with a wizard inside, a ship in a bottle, a tiny set of star ships, and many other things.

Perhaps I can revisit this topic at a later time if the journey allows.  It is time, however, to move on to other thoughts and questions that demand my attention.  As the topic changes from my talismans to other things I must conclude this thing.  Although the objects possess no power of their own they are indeed very powerful.  Anything that causes me to both feel and think is powerful and important.

Reminding myself that I have created this space for a reason makes me better at living out that reason.  This is my fortress of solitude where I spin out my tales and thoughts in hopes of seeing Christ honestly and reflecting Christ more clearly.  This is my lair where I rest from the world and enjoy the small hoard of treasure that I have.  The talismans remind me of who I am to be, what I am to be about, and that this room is not my world.  This lair is rather my campsite for resting until I continue the journey for another day.  The talismans remind me for whom I fight and what the fight is really about. 

I am sure you may wish to know why I have a black rubber duck, a silver teddy bear with a broken clock in his tummy, and chainmail coin purse.  I assure you that they are not just clutter.  I assure you Dear Reader they remind me of things that I am supposed to be and of moments when I was that man.  The red rubber Yoshi has a purpose.  Hagrid on his motorcycle carries a memory.  By the faded crimson ribbon hangs a tale.     

Some of these tales will spin out in this forum.  Some are in a book on its way to the shelves of bookstores both actual and virtual.  All of them teach me every morning in some way.  They all point to the most powerful talisman of all.  It was abounded in the first house I bought in this city.  It is a gold crucifix about a foot tall. 

Jesus hangs there in his former state.  He minds me that I have a path to journey, an example to follow, and world to love.  Hanging there he points me toward the memory of his suffering, the joy of his resurrection, and world he is bringing back to “good.”  My task in this space is to use whatever is necessary to work toward that end. 

The joy in the journey is in remembering that on the shelves behind the talismans stands my vast theological library.  The true power of those talismans is to remind me that none of that knowledge has any power without the love that put Christ on the cross.  It is the people and their stories that remind me of God’s love.  The theology only helps me understand the mechanics.  The talismans remind as I move them to retrieve a book that after all is complete only the love will remain.  “For God so LOVED the world that he gave us his only begotten Son…”    

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment