12 April 2015

Talismans – Rocks Part 2

Greetings Dear Reader,

I mentioned yesterday that Bezel’s gift was the first one he ever gave me.  Last summer, at age two my youngest Grandson also gave me a gift.  He and his brother had spent the night with Grandpa and it was about this same time early in the morning. 

The lad walked sleepily into my writing office and asked for a snuggle.  He was carrying his tiny blue jeans.  I pulled him up into my lap and we snuggled for a bit.  I reminded him how much I love him and gave him some of my water.

After about fifteen minutes he remembered the blue jeans.  He began to dig in the tiny pocket of the tiny pants.  One at a time he pulled out eight tiny rocks about the size of a sesame seed.  He insisted that I take each one of them.  When he was finished he simply said, “For you Grandpa.” 

He was not extremely verbal at this point and just given me a gift with an explanation.  It was obvious there was intent.  I carefully put the tiny rocks into one of those gumball machine capsules and wrote his name and the date on it. 

I may never understand why he wanted me to have those rocks.  I do understand that they are a talisman of the moment when a child wanted to give to me out of love and intent.  They remind me of the importance of gifts.  Gifts can reach deep into the hearts and minds of others to touch the need for love and acceptance.

It is in giving that we express our love for others.  It is in giving from the heart without pretense or expectation that we show unconditional love.  Every morning that tiny capsule of tiny stones reminds me that even the smallest gift, honestly given, can speak love into the lives of others.  That is a powerful talisman indeed.

Wond’ring Aloud – Jethro Tull

Wond'ring aloud --
how we feel today.
Last night sipped the sunset --
my hands in her hair.
We are our own saviours
as we start both our hearts beating life
into each other.

Wond'ring aloud --
will the years treat us well.
As she floats in the kitchen,
I'm tasting the smell
of toast as the butter runs.
Then she comes, spilling crumbs on the bed
and I shake my head.
And it's only the giving
that makes you what you are.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment