09 May 2015

Commitment - Bonds

Greetings Dear Reader,

In the universe of Star Trek the race of Klingons are experts and insults.  Arguably the most intense insult one can level at a Klingon is “tokhe straav'” or “willing slave”.  We would call that individual a “bond slave” or one who has willingly bound their life to the servant of another.

We make commitments with legal standing.  Bonds are commitments that carry the force of law.  Breaking them has consequences beyond the social and spiritual ones.  In the ancient world servant could choose to become a Bond Servant when offered freedom.  They would then bind their lives to a household forever.  The Greek word for this is Doulos.  A ring in the ear of this willing slave told all who saw him that he was not for sale.

A financial bond is a promise to appear at trial when accused of a crime.  Our word is to be our bond and no other thing should be necessary.  Because we violate our commitments we have to offer assurance that we will do as we say.  Bonds should not be necessary in our world.  Our commitment should be enough.

A popular song from my youth said that the man wished   “…to know that I’m not shackled by forgotten words and bonds and ink stains that have dried upon some line…”  We avoid being bound to things when there are things to which I must be bound.

My word must be my bond.  I must be bound to Christ and his commands to love and peace.  I must give away my freedom to be his bond servant.  The world must know that I am not for sale.  I have been purchased, redeemed, set free, and then freely stepped back into the role of bond slave to Christ.  It is not logical but it is true that this is where true freedom lives.

Doulos – Kemper Crabb

You are my God
And I am your man
I will follow you
With the work of my hand
And the thoughts of my mind
And the love of my heart

If the world could know
If they could understand
Ah, the exquisite touch
Of the Creator's hand
Brings a blur to my eye
But makes my vision clear

Ring, rainbow ring
Encircles the throne
Fiery ring of love
Around your own
A golden ring to show
Just where I stand
A ring that binds my heart
Into your hand

And looking back across the years
I can see that you were constantly there
Constant creation
That’s what I am
As you are making me into your man

Here is my ear
Drive through the nail
The world will know
By the ring that I wear
That I am not for sale
For you are my God
And I am your man

Ring, rainbow ring
Encircles the throne
Fiery ring of love
Around your own
A golden ring to show
Just where I stand
A ring that binds my heart
Into your hand

For You are my God
And I am your man

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment