05 May 2015

Commitment – Opening Thoughts

Greetings Dear Reader,

I have been searching for a particular kind of bow for someone.  He is just learning to shoot and it is something I love.  I thought I found just the right one this past weekend.  Instead I had found the right model but with cracks in the recurve. 

One of the things I was taught when I first learned to shoot a bow was to inspect the recurve for cracks before I string it.  A bow can shatter when strung if it has cracks in it.  The integrity of the bow must be verified before one trusts it under tension.

Before I became serious about being more invested in grace and mercy commitments were almost debilitating for me.  I would get frozen in the moment of someone not keeping his or her word.  It would damage my trust and my friendship with the individual.

Eventually I learned that if the individual is not going to keep a commitment forcing him to do so or demanding that she do it only does damage to the parties involved.  The relationship is damaged long before the commitment is broken.  A person is broken long before he or she begins violating promises, commitments, and vows.

It still troubles me greatly that the integrity of our society continues to fray and tatter.  Christ followers are to be known by the love shown to others.  If we are to have any credibility with those who do not respect our beliefs we must have integrity.  It is in keeping our commitments that we become dependable. 

If I am to understand this enough for it to be a part of who I am naturally I must assure that I have thought through what people and God expect.  Although commitment seems like a simple thing I think there is an underlying complexity to it.  I think  a little vivisection of the idea of commitment will serve to cement my understanding of just what I am doing when I say “yes” to anything.  Walk with me a feel free to join the conversation. 

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment