08 May 2015

Commitment - Pledge

Greetings Dear Reader,

A solemn promise relative to an undertaking is called a pledge.  The most commonly known pledge in this country is the Pledge of Allegiance.  I recall saying it every morning in primary school.  It is simple and short:

“I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.”

We pledge ourselves to endeavors, symbols, and causes.  We speak formatted words or agree to take certain actions for a purpose.  Again we are submitting our will to an endeavor.  Pledges are commitments to a cause.

When we pledge ourselves to the cause of Christ it is no small things.  We pledge this so often in the formatted prayers and hymns we sing.  I do not think we ponder the weight of the words we say and sing. 

A Christ follower is called to a cause.  We are to use love, kindness, and grace to teach others to follow Christ.  So many of us have pledged our lives to this cause.  Living out the command to teach others to follow Christ does not require us to speak any proscribed words.  We are pledged to this cause by our commitment to Christ.

This is a cause I gladly renew my pledge to each morning.  I sit for a moment and take in what God has to say to me through the Bible.  I then ponder how I will live out that message in my commitment to teach others to love and forgive.  Some days are diamonds and some days are coal. 

The Pledge – DeGarmo and Key

He died for me, I'll live for him.

It's a world of choices, patterned to confuse,
Distracting, little voices whisper what to do,
Searching for the pieces, one step from the edge,
Turn your heart to Jesus, make this solemn pledge...

He died for me, I'll live for him,
He died for me, I'll live for him.

Above all lords and regents, he is king of kings,
I'm pledging my allegiance through these words I sing,
Take this oath of service; write it on your wall,
It's our only purpose for living life at all.

He died for me, I'll live for him,
He died for me, I'll live for him.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment